This feature article details specific ways you can help your clients make lasting and meaningful changes using the 5 A’s (Ask, Assess, Assist, Advise and Arrange). Included are eight key behavior change principles, the readiness ruler scale, and information on how to tailor a behavior change intervention. Also offered is an introduction to motivational interviewing, and how to tell if you’re implementing the technique correctly.
After reading this article, you should be able to:
- Describe the most important principles in coaching behavior change.
- Identify a client’s readiness to change, and adapt an intervention accordingly.
- Describe the major components of motivational interviewing.
- Describe the major principles that apply when teaching adult learners.
- Use the “5 A’s” in a coaching intervention.
- Enroll in the course.
- View the course content.
- Take the test. (You must score 80% to pass. If you do not pass, you may retake the test.)
- Print your certificate of completion.
|June 2015 IDEA Fitness Journal Quiz 2: How to Help Your Clients Make Changes ||Module|